In 2020 the most important thing in our list when we step out is face mask. The biggest reason for this drastic change is COVID-19.
There is a never-ending list of types of face masks available in the market right now. Here is the list of masks available in your nearest pharmacy and detailed information about that.
The N95 respirator is a respiratory protective device design to get close facial fit. It is very efficient in the filtration of airborne particles. the edges form a seal around the mouth and nose. They are used in Healthcare settings and are also called N95s.
Precautions to be taken while using N95 masks
- People suffering from chronic respiratory diseases should check with their healthcare provider before using this mask because it makes it difficult for the wearer to Breath.
- Many masks have an exhalation valve that can make breathing out easier and reduce heat build-up. These should not be used in sterile conditions.
- These masks are for every single use so if your respirator is damaged you should remove the respirator and discard it properly.
- Respirators are not useful for children for people with facial hair. it may not provide full protection to them.
A surgical mask is a disposable mask that has loose-fitting. It creates a physical barrier and is regulated under 21 CFR 878.40.40. Surgical masks are referred to as face masks. They come in different thicknesses and can block splashes, sprays, or germs. It does not block small particles and is for one-time use only. One of the biggest disadvantages is that it has loose fitting and hence does not give 100% protection
Comparison between surgical masks and N95s
- A surgical mask has a loose-fitting while an N95 respirator has a close facial fitting.
- Surgical masks prevent contaminants from entering the mouth by creating a barrier while the N95 respirator effectively filters airborne particles.
- Surgical masks are also known as face masks while N95 respirators are referred to as N95s.
Increased demands for masks
The unpredictable outbreak of covid-19 has caused a surge in demands for face masks and sanitizers. In a clinical setting, it has been proved that face masks are helpful in controlling the spread of the virus.
Countries have increased domestic and international production of face masks. The face mask is being used as an arm during a war. Increased demand has led to an increase in the prices of face masks. Supply has also been faltered. In order to meet the growing demands, every other company is getting engaged in the production of masks.
Precautions to be taken while using masks
- Wash and clean the face cover before using it.
- Wash or sanitize your hands with alcohol-based sanitizer before wearing the face cover.
- Replace the face cover if it becomes humid or damp.
- Do not reuse disposable face masks
- Face masks should not be shared.
One thing you must remember at the end is face masks are helpful but they are not enough. Maintaining social distance and proper hygiene is always useful. Hope you all are safe at your homes.